2014年9月10日 星期三

布丁好不好 吃了才知道

The proof is in the pudding 


節目台詞
Rob: Hello and welcome to Authentic Real English. I am Rob.

Rob: 
Can you guess what I have brought for you to try?Feifei: Hello everyone. I am Feifei.
Feifei: No, but I hope it』s not one of those… errr, disgusting pies you always make.
Rob: Hey, come on Feifei ­ have some faith in me. I know you like fried dumplings a lot, so I have made these pork and chive dumplings especially for you!
Feifei: Fried dumplings? They look more like burnt dumplings.
Rob: Just try one  I』m sure you』ll like it.
Feifei: Rob, they just don』t look that appetising.
Rob: Trust me Feifei, the proof is in the pudding.
Feifei: In the pudding? Aren』t these supposed to be dumplings?
Rob: Yes, these are dumplings. But I used the phrase 『the proof is in the pudding』 to mean you can only judge the quality of something after you』ve tried it or used it.
Feifei: I see. The proof is in the pudding 的字面意思就是「證據在布丁中」,就是說要想知道布丁好不好,只有吃了才知道。我們用這個表達來強調凡事只有自己親身體驗或嘗試過後才能判斷好與壞。Is that right Rob?
Rob: Yes, that』s right. In the old days, people used to say 『the proof of the pudding is in the eating』  which means you have to eat the pudding to know what』s inside it.
Feifei: I like that saying. Although it does mean I have to try your dumplings to know how bad they are.
Rob: Oh Feifei! Just give it try ­ you won』t be disappointed.
Feifei: OK, OK. I』ll try some. But first let』s hear some examples of how to use the phrase 『the proof is in the pudding』.
  • A: I don』t believe this new flash washing machine can save water and energy.B: But you haven』t used it yet. The proof is the pudding.
  • A: This second-hand car does look a bit old – can you still drive it?
    B: Well, why don』t you test drive it? The proof is in the pudding.
  • A: Do you think this will work?
    B: I don』t know. But let』s wait and see – the proof is in the pudding.
Feifei: 大家要記住,在英語裏 the proof is in the pudding 的意思是只有自己親身體驗或嘗試過後才能判斷好與壞,正如我們常說的「空談不如實踐」。
Rob: So Feifei, do you like the dumplings?
Feifei: (Feifei munching away…) Mmmm, yes, yum. I do, I really like the pork and chive filling.
Rob: I finally made something you like!
Feifei: As you say Rob: 「the proof is in the pudding」!
Rob: Thank you for listening to Authentic Real English.
Feifei: And do check out our website for more useful phrases.
Rob: Bye.
Feifei: Bye.


沒有留言:

張貼留言